Local Ember Membership!
Welcome local friends and folk lovers! I am so excited to convene with you all again for another season of magic and merry-making! To returning members, welcome back, and to folks joining in or curious about joining in for the first time, I look forward to meeting you! There are so very few choirs like ours between the coasts, and I think it's so important to cultivate this community of singers in this rural place together. Cultural learning and appreciation is even more important to build in rural areas than in cities in my opinion, and it's my pleasure to offer this space for mind-bending musical & cultural exploration.
If you're planning to join us in person, this fall, you should be prepared to:
• Learn challenging & complex music, including singing in unfamiliar foreign languages, with full focus and engagement
• Learn new vocal techniques and grow vocally over time
• Identify as strong singers who can hold a harmony / melody against other parts, or be committed to enough home practice that holding a part on one's own without the help of other section members is achievable by performances
• Be willing to review material and listen to recordings between choir rehearsals
• Attend choir regularly and prioritize over optional activities that overlap with rehearsal time
• Make up missed classes with the online recordings of the missed class that are available weekly
Fall Semester: 10 Weeks
October 6 - December 15
Thursday Evenings 7 - 9 PM
We are convening in a new venue this fall! Nature Nooks Retreat is owned by choir member Pam, and is located 13 min drive east of Viroqua, between Viroqua and La Farge. Carpooling will be organized for those who would like to share transportation from town!
We are currently looking to grow our in-person group, so if you know someone who likes to sing and might like to come experience the group, please invite them to our first gathering!
Singing is one of the highest risk activities one could partake in when it comes to Covid spread. We are all responsible to our communities, and in order to be able to have the goodness of group singing in our lives whilst protecting vulnerable group members, we must all agree to some basic protocols around Covid in order to join.
• We prefer that in-person members are fully vaccinated for Covid-19, but exceptions are possible
• Participants agree to excellent communication around health status and possible exposures
• If a member is experiencing cold/flu symptoms or has a known primary exposure, they will join class with Zoom participants if well enough to participate
• A regard of Covid safety and health as a collective project in which we are all responsible participants is essential to be a member of this group partaking in high risk activity
We are very happy to offer this course on a sliding scale basis to our extended community. In the spirit of Folk, we want the material of this course to be as accessible as possible, while also honoring the time, energy, and skill it takes to offer a class like this.
Reach out if you'd like to arrange a payment plan for your sliding scale tier!
Limited scholarships are available for BIPOC and disabled participants.
You are able to pay with cash or check at our first gathering or via Venmo.
If you would like to propose a trade as a substitute for dues, I might love that! Things I love to trade for are -- bodywork, home raised meat, other food staples, graphic design work, farm animals, fruit trees, etc. Trades should be equal to the full value of the class if proposed.
* Physical space for Ember is limited and Pre-Registration is required to join! *